Do you want to be part of a performance, deepen your skills in masterclasses, enjoy concerts and the festival atmosphere?
Join our Festival Cello Academy!
Open and private masterclasses with Jakob Koranyi, Viola de Hoog, Harriet Krijgh, Madara and Jeroen den Herder
From 21 – 27 of August 2023 you can join our International Festival Cello Academy in Zutphen!
With a broad and interesting range of musicians, such as Jakob Koranyi, Viola de Hoog, Ivan Karizna, Harriet Krijgh, Sinfonia Rotterdam, Narriato String Quartet and Jeroen den Herder
Time to play and enjoy!
During the festival we make room for new talents to explore their skills and broaden their horizon. We invite students to join our academy and take part in a performance, participate in open en private masterclasses, join group sessions and meet the musicians. It is a great way to deepen your practice, gain experience in performing and make new connections. And of course you will be able to join concerts and enjoy the special festival atmosphere!
What can you expect?
- Private masterclasses with Jakob Koranyi, Viola de Hoog, Harriet Krijgh and Jeroen den Herder
- Learn from Open Masterclasses with Jakob Koranyi, Viola de Hoog and Jeroen den Herder – and maybe even participate in them
- Enjoy the concerts in the evening – you have free acces to these concerts
- Be part of the festival – meet the musicians, have lunches and diner together, get to know eachother and make new connections
- The opportunity to learn different types of music such as improvisation and baroque
Focus on your personal interest
We offer you extra sessions with Madara and/or Viola de Hoog to deepen your practise. Join them both or choose one of them.
1. Work towards a performance with Madara
A session with Madara with a focus on improvisation and preparing to join her in one of her performances this week.
2. Learn Baroque music with Viola de Hoog
If baroque is the type of music you would like to deepen, you can join a group session with Viola de Hoog.
Viola de Hoog
Viola de Hoog is a versatile musician whose distinguished international career has predominantly been focused on historically-informed performance. For twenty of those years she also travelled the world as the cellist in the renowned Dutch Schönberg Quartet.
Madara is a special concept in Latvia. Her own compositions are songs that deal with the deeper themes of life. Playing and singing acoustically, but with electronic sound effects, she takes the audience into a very personal performance that makes her originality audible.
Our ‘basecamp’ these days will be in Dat Bolwerck, Zaadmarkt 12 in Zutphen – a beautiful and Medieval building in the heart of the old town (10 minutes walk from the trainstation).
Monday 21 and Tuesday 22 August
Preparation and private masterclasses
- On Monday we start at 12:00 in Dat Bolwerck. After getting to know each other and an introduction to the program we will have lunch together with the teachers and other musicians who already have arrived.
- In the afternoon we will practice: we schedule some classes, which you can join as a participant or listener. You can also practice by yourself and/or play together.
- We will have dinner together in Dat Bolwerck and after that you can make your own schedule and leave for your host family.
Wednesday 23 – Sunday 28 August
International Cello Festival Zutphen
- We will provide a schedule of open and private masterclasses, group lessons and rehearsals if you decide to join the group sessions with Madara
- All lunches and dinners will be provided by us in Dat Bolwerck. Breakfast is selfmanaged or provided by your host family
- In the evening you have access to all concerts. All other concerts are open if there are spots available
Wednesday 23 – Sunday 28 August
End of the program
LOCATION AND ACCOMMODATION
Dat Bolwerck, Zaadmarkt 12 in Zutphen is our place to meet, to practice, the stage for some of the concerts and where we have lunch and dinner.
You will be hosted by families that we are related to the Academy. They are used to guests of our Academy and are within walking (or cycling) distance from Dat Bolwerck.
WHO CAN APPLY?
7 cello students (bachelor, master or post-master from conservatory or conservatory- level)
EUR 500,- incl. VAT – including all classes, accommodation and meals – exluding travel costs
Please contact us if the contribution makes it difficult for you to join. In some cases – depending on your situation and level – we can provide a scholarship.
- Ask any questions via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Let us know if you are interested – send your online application
- We contact you as soon as possible – we are happy to have you on board!
- After application we sent you an invoice. It is possible to pay in installments.
Check if you need a visum to travel to The Netherlands. It can take some time to arrange this, so it’s good to start this as soon as you can. Also consider the costs that come with these type of documents.